Application Controls Review
Application controls are those controls that pertain to the scope of individual processes or application systems in use. Application systems range from very small to Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) systems. Our IT Auditors asesses application controls which include:
- Inherent controls: The controls are delivered with the application and do not need to be added to it.
- Configurable controls: These are automated controls to be defined at the time of system/application configuration.
- Security controls: Which are generally user access, segregation of duties controls, roles and process rules.
- Reporting controls: Are those that rely on standard or ad-hoc reports from the application.
- Work flow controls which are used to notify application users that a transaction or process is awaiting their action.
- Automated computations: These are part of the source code and help preclude mathematical errors.
- Validation checks: These controls are used to help assure data accuracy by preventing typos, mis-classifications, etc.